Subject: [Leica] RE: RE: Ansel Adams on PBS TV
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 17:59:23 -0700

The thing about Yosemite is, if you have never been there before, that, if
you go, your sensory perception will be immediately overloaded. You feel
like a minuscule drop in an ocean as you stand there looking at granite
walls and domes tower thousands of feet over your head, water cascading
down in white ribbons from numerous waterfalls.

Their reflections in the Merced river pools and tiny lakes. All surrounded
by giant Sequoia trees. The Merced meanders through a lush green valley
which is the footing for these Granite monoliths. Tiny buildings speckle
the valley floor, looking like grains of salt and pepper next to the
massive granite walls.

Sensory overload!

To see this just after a light dusting of snow is about as mind boggling as
anything else in this world.

Ansel Adams was able to photograph Yosemite in a way that allowed the rest
of us to see that these awe inspiring features could actually be captured
on film in a way that made sense. We can look at Ansel Adams' photographs
and immediately get the feeling of being in Yosemite.

Now I challenge anyone on this list, who hasn't been to Yosemite, to go to
Yosemite and create photographs that you are happy with. Photographs that
convey the awe inspiring vision on film, that you have in your head.
Yosemite is so massive, attempting to capture this massiveness is very
difficult.

Actually, it is extraordinarily difficult. It can take many years of simply
living with the thought that you want to photograph Yosemite, returning
repeatedly, viewing, thinking, before you can even begin to start producing
results that approach the vision and feeling that is there.

I can hear the laughter now.

Those who go there regularly know what I am talking about.

Those who have never been there might be laughing, but wait until you go.
Regardless of how hard you try, you'll go home with rolls of film full of
happy snaps... Your photographs will not tell anyone what Yosemite is
really like.

Ansel Adams' photographs do.

I have several copies of a book published 20 or so years ago. "Yosemite and
the Range of Light." These are signed copies. The photographs are Ansel
Adams greatest Yosemite photographs. The book simply transports you into
Yosemite. You feel the magnificence.

I have never seen another photographer who had the ability to create
photographs about a place, whether Yosemite, New Mexico, the CA coast,
wherever, who could transport you into these places via simple B&W
photographic images.

All of Ansel Adams' scenic display images were "created" in his darkroom.
But the correct amount of silver had to be on the negative in the first
place in order for him to create an image that can suck you right in.

Ansel Adams was a true master of the craft of photography.

:)

Jim

Replies: Reply from "geebeespaw" <geebeespaw@btopenworld.com> (Re: [Leica] RE: RE: Ansel Adams on PBS TV)
Reply from "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com> ([Leica] RE: Ansel Adams on PBS TV)