Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: Ansel Adams on PBS TV
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 20:32:20 -0700

Two years ago a local and very successful businessman exhibited 30 of his
large collection of original Ansel Adams prints in a gallery just a half
block away from my own office gallery here in Eureka. It was probably one of
the finest Adams exhibits in the world. I spent many hours there alone with
those luminous prints. Seeing some of them on TV last night was like seeing
snapshots of old friends - at least a reminder of the actual print but,
nevertheless, just a reminder.

The program reminded me of the real prints, where the deep and sublte tones
in the shadows were there to fall into. The highlights made you squint. And
behind the technical mastery of the print was that quiet whisper behind
nature - a hint of something grander than even Yosemite itself - that
unmistakeable capturing of the three dimensional world in the two dimesons
of film with a print that spoke of yet another dimension.

What a priviledge to have those prints next door to study and admire. I also
know without a doubt what a priviledge it has been for me to live on the
North Coast next door to giant redwoods and ocean wildness bigger than
Yosemite. Perhaps there's the connection. Maybe my "country" eyes have been
pre-conditioned for Adams. In the city, it's difficult for me to find a
parking space or a phone booth. The street signs never seem to allow enough
time to change lanes. But closer to home, I can see the godwits twist the
air over Humboldt Bay with a common mind, and the merest ripple in Big
Lagoon tells me the size of the otter underneath. Even the feel of the air
forecasts that brief minute of light about to burst under coastal fog
against a dark forest landscape at sunset.

When I see an Adams print close up, I feel that same surprise and thanks
which he must have felt. With nothing else but a camera and patience, the
scene finally appeared with the changing light. Or more blessed still, when
rounding a corner, the camera was at hand and ready to capture a moment
which disappeared seconds later except on the film. Adams caught a few of
those moments of surprise that inspire me to keep looking for my own.

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger

Message from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (RE: [Leica] Ansel Adams on PBS TV)