Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Ansel Adams on PBS TV
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 14:58:49 -0400

I'm not necessarilly arguing for rigidity, Henry - depending upon what we
call manipulation. But are you really saying that you can't understand why
people expect a different standard in photography and painting?

How about the fact that photographs are generally thought to be accurate
representations of reality - paintings, with rare exception, are not. Photos
are thought to show us what IS in a given instant; paintings show us what
was in the mind of the artist. And so on.

I am not arguing that photos tell the truth, or that there are not photos
that are representations of what is on/in the mind of the photographer. All
I am saying is that it is very easy to understand why people apply a
"higher" standard to photographs.