Subject: [Leica] M7 first impressions
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 20:19:22 -0400

I know little of the following is news to most people, but I thought I'd post my
quick impressions of a first encounter with the M7 today.

No doubt about it -- the new shutter is quieter than the all-mechanical classic M
shutter. I could detect no delay in the release. The release stroke itself has a
definite and quite firm notchiness. I'm one of those crazy people who loves the M5,
and the M7 resembles it in this regard: very nice. I also liked the LED display: all
the info is in one place, unlike some other electronic cameras where you have to scan
from corner to corner up and down to see all the details. The new bayonet battery
compartment does seem like an accident waiting to happen -- I never had a problem
with the screw-in type. But we shall see.

All in all, I say the M7 is a winner.

Emanuel