Subject: Re: [Leica] Couple R8 questions
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 21:35:56 -0300

At 05:02 PM 4/23/2002 +0000, Victor Wek wrote:
>1) Which lenses are consider to be the best or must have in R line? From
>LUG I know we can include 100/2.8 APO macro on it. Any other? I think, the
>best will be a lens which has relatively new design and does not improve
>much when stopped down.

The best of the R lenses is the 280mm F4 APO.  Expensive and not that
practical.

>2) Which screen will be the best for focusing long lenses like 100,
>180mm..? R8 comes with universal screen. Can ground glass screen be better
>for tele or macro work?

I use either the universal screen or the microprism screen when shooting
the fast lenses.

>3) Generally, what ground glass is use for?

Ground glass with grid is good for scenic photography and as an aid to
composition.

>4) In last Viewfider one reader comments was: R8 is difficult to focus
>with wide angle lenses because of high magnification finder? Is that true?
>And because tele lenses were not mentioned there, focusing them will be no
>problem!? (3rd page, right column)

No problem focusing even the 19mm.  They may have been comparing it to the
M line of cameras, which are very easy to focus.

>5) Does the 2x APO  extender preserves quality of APO f2 or f2.8 R lenses?
>Is it any drawback by using 2x extender on APO lenses, beside reduction of
>light transferred to the film?

The 2x APO and 1.4x APO, need to be stopped down when used with the 180mm
F2 APO Summicron.  The extenders were designed for use with the large APO
Telyts, such aa the Modular System.  The extenders will not mate with some
lenses.  Check the Leica Program PDF for compatibility chart.

>6) Is it a way to fire not dedicated flash and measure the flash properly
>before taking a picture? I am thinking about F function on R8 body.

Yes, you connect the flash and used the depth of field lever in the F
mode.  When the lens tops down, it fires the flash and takes a meter
reading which displays ,in stops over/under, in the finder and camera
back.  It does not take a picture during this metering flash.

>Recently, I had long meeting with fellow LUGer, John, and more and more
>question arise. Like focusing SL2 with 400/6.8 on ground glass looks
>v.easy.  I am planning to use R8 with 180/2.8 APO initially. I will get R8
>with the lens, it is on its way.

You will be happy with the results.

Regards,

Robert