Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Image manipulation
From: kiklaas@iinet.net.au
Date: 24 Apr 2002 01:34:28 -0000

I hold the view that I should be able to match any of my photographs to
the neg and there should be no difference in content - ie. removing or
inserting objects that were not part of the original neg.  I believe
dodging/burning is part of the process as is under/overexposure.  I do not
have a problem with cropping, sometimes the moment does not allow for
tight framing.

I very nearly gave up photography years ago as a result of not realising
that all three process and a chance to tweak any of these - ie. exposure,
neg development and printing were equally important in the scheme of
arriving at the result you visualised during or before taking the image.
I would send my film to the one hour street corner lab and be totally
shattered when I picked up the prints - it was never how I saw it at the
time I took the photograph.

I set up my own darkroom and have recently switched to Photoshop instead
(time saving) and the creative control has given me new hope - ie. able to
recreate exactly what I saw/how I saw and share these images with others.

(Have to say I am struggling a bit with my Leica, great to use but my
results are awful, I will never give up, the battle is half the joy.)

Karina