Subject: Re: [Leica] Info on 50 F/2.0 collapsible
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:33:56 +0200

Hi Edward,

I recently bought just such a lens (albeit the M version) for my M3--the M3 is
from 1959, the lens I bought from 1954, and they make a perfect couple. I have
shot some Kodachrome and B&W with it, and my conclusion is that compared to my
more modern Leica lenses the collapsible Summicron has markedly lower contrast
(which I knew and which I find desireable since I anticipate using it in
contrasty situations such as bars and other artificially-lit places, with fast,
hence contrasty, film). The one disappointment is that the lens is extremely
prone to flare when used outdoors on a sunny day. I shot some contre-jour images
which are frankly not acceptable. Having said that, I did not use a lens hood,
and with the sun behind me the images were fine. And the lens does make an
extremely compact combination with the M3.

Nathan