Subject: [Leica] A HUGE thanks and some Kodachrome thoughts
From: Edward Caliguri <caliguri@ma.ultranet.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 15:40:24 -0400

- -Hi all!

    First, a big, big thanks to all who responded to my need concerning
information on the SM Leitz 50 f/2.0 collapsible Summicron! I am using it
now, and find all that everyone told me to be right on the money! Color
rendition, compact quality. protect the soft coating etc - all true. What
can I say? LUGers are the best!

    On an added note about the Kodachrome/Velvia debate, I have stockpiled
more than a few rolls of K25 in the freezer (just hope I can continue to get
it processed) as I love the stuff. Slow, yes - but worth it in many cases
for me. In terms of K64 - also fantastic - some may wish to check out the
book 'American Color' by Magnum photographer Constantine Manos. Consta used
the film for all his work, his first color publication, and it is
spectacular. The subject dictates the response, and color complements it in
a wonderful way; not gain a garish fashion as Velvia sometimes does. I have
seen some of his original self-made Ilfochrome prints on his wall, and
although he did mask some to reduce the contrast in reproduction, they are
magnificent in only a way Kodachrome can deliver. Check out the book at
Amazon (or your favorite) - it's well worth it.

    Thanks again!
        EC