Subject: Re: [Leica] Film register problems for everyone?!
From: Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 12:39:52 -0700 (PDT)

Wow!
It finally makes sense. That's why my IIIa is smaller
than my IIIc. It's older!

The vulcanite shrinkage has no effect on register
distance. Iron and aluminum blocks do "move around"
but that's a result of thermal cycling, chamber
pressure and cranking induced stresses, none of which
happen in a camera. Outside of dropping, it sometimes
happens that the camera doesn't come together exactly
as it went apart after a CLA. That's why you are
supposed to re-mike and if necessary re-shim the
flange after every dissassembly. This was
poarticularly common with the built up chassis A's.
It's the same thing that happens when you pull the cam
carriers on a 907! The aluminum shrinks....
Javier