Subject: [Leica] Re: calling on the LUG to do a good deed: leica scholarship
From: Allan Wafkowski <allan@sohogurus.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 01:39:39 -0400

What I said was the the fellow was going to pay about $28,000 a year.
That statement appears to be true in fact, does it not? You don't
remember me itemizing the numbers, do you? No, of course not. But this
is all beside the point. The point is that a young man paying $28,000 a
year to go to school, and owning (one assumes) a Leica camera is not
going to qualify for the LUG most needy student scholarship. I can name
three AIDS patients who can't afford their monthly medication and who
don't receive Medicaid. I know an old lady who eats bread sandwiches
(that's two slices of bread with nothing in between) because she runs
out of food at the end of each month. I know two mentally ill brothers
who live on $17,000 a year between them.

Before I piss myself off, let me ask you: Do you really think I want "at
least a $1,000" gathered for a student to go pester homeless people in
another country because the homeless people in California aren't exotic
enough?

Allan

Replies: Reply from "Karina Klaas" <shutterbug@iinet.net.au> (Re: [Leica] Re: calling on the LUG to do a good deed: leica scholarship)