Subject: [Leica] Re: calling on the LUG to do a good deed: leica scholarship
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 05:31:03 -0500

Kyle:

>Scott Squire is a LUGger and a photojournalism student at Berkeley who, at
>classes end finds himself looking out over 100 days of summer lying before
>him like a raft of empty time

Just out of curiosity, how did you learn about Scott?  (I don't remember
seeing any of his posts, but that's not to say he hasn't.)

In my mind, a scholarship is won after a competition.  Not just because a
college kid is looking for something exciting to do with his summer
vacation.  No offense intended to you personally, Scott.

I'd tend to classify world travel as a luxury, and if I'm going to donate to
a worthy cause, I'd prefer my money be used for necessities.  Now, if Scott
had already finished his homeless project and he were hitting the LUG up to
help out the desperate people he met along his self-funded journey, I think
you'd find more open wallets.  Or if Scott were staying near Berkeley and
had passed up on a paying summer job so he could volunteer at a soup kitchen
and document the plight of its patrons, again I think you'd find more open
wallets.

Taking pictures in exotic places doesn't make one a photographer.  It makes
one a tourist.  :)

Eric