Subject: RE: Vs: [Leica] Digital vs Film
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 11:12:33 -0400

Aram,

Your point is well taken.  Personally, I store ALL my digital image files in
TIFF format.  It isn't compressed, no special headers/footers etc.  It's as
simple as can be, the file only has the image size and the data.  Really
easy to "decode".  In 100 years, media issues aside (which are a significant
issue, BTW), decoding the image should be a non-issue.

One thing I do is keep old machines around...yes, I know that sounds funny,
but I "archive" the machine, with the old OS, old programs and old data, as
well as the program disks to re-build that machine should I need to.  That
way, I am ASSURED, electronic failure aside, that I can get to my old files.
So far I only have one archived "machine"...pre-Windows (actually, Windows
3.1), and am about to do another, WinNT 4.0.  The reason I do it is because
I do engineering work, and just like your files, engineering files are very
program specific, and the data formats change, companies go out of
business...and I may need to take a look at something I did 10 years ago.
Unfortunately, I didn't do this for a lot of early files I did on a
Mac...and I lost a lot of work, that I can never recover.

Now, I'm not suggesting that for digital images, as it really isn't
necessary...but I would strongly suggest storing digital images in an
uncompressed format, and probably suggest TIFF, because of it's simplicity.
I'm sure that there will always be programs to read JPEG etc, at least for
our lifetime.  I also suggest archiving them to more than one CD...and when
DVD writers become less expensive (and your image library grows), archive
them to DVD...and then to...whatever is the media of the time, at the time
;-)

Regards,

Austin