Subject: RE: Vs: [Leica] Digital vs Film
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 13:56:30 -0400

At 08:42 PM 4/27/02 -0500, William wrote:

>Are your great-great grandchildren going to be holding one of your digital
>inkjet prints 100 years from now just because Epson or someone like Henry
>Wilhelm says you should experience no significant fading under proper
>storage conditions ?

My Piezography prints are with carbon pigment ink and I expect them to last
for hundreds of years.  They will probably fade much less than the photos
in your Grandmother's attic.

>Do you expect that electronic manufacturers will continue to build
>technology to support the CD and DVD formats 50 years from now, or are
>they going to be the technological equivalent of the 8 track tape, 45 RPM
>disk or wax cylinder recording ?

If they come out with new formats, I will just transfer the files.

>Digital may be more efficient  = more images. I'm thinking now that
>digital = the potential for more images lost.

I have thousands of negatives that I have never looked at that will take me
the next 25 years to edit and file.  All of my digital photographs are
viewed, edited, and filed within minutes of downloading them from my camera.

>My thoughts. I guess only time will tell.

That's true.  I'm not giving up on film but the permanence of film vs
digital is not an issue for me.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com