Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital vs Film: one man's thoughts
From: Pete Su <psu@kvdpsu.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 16:29:41 -0400

Here is one reason why digital wins in the areas in which it is now
prevalent (e.g. journalism).

About an hour ago, we had a wicked hail storm here in Pittsburgh.

It took me 20 minutes to shoot the results of the storm around my house,
edit them down, and put up a web page:

http://kvdpsu.org/hail/

No great pictures here at all, but it gives you an idea of how much
faster this is than shooting film. I have a few frames of Tri-X that'll
be lucky to see prints by next month.

FWIW, the digital vs. film question is application dependent. The only
question is the extent to which it will still be commercially viable to
produce huge amounts of film, since right now the markets that use the
most film are shifting towards digital. The fine art market will always
be there, but it has to be big enough to support the manufacturers. I
personally think I'll be able to shoot Tri-X or something like it
essentially forever. It'll probably get more expensive, but i guess
that's OK.

Pete

Replies: Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: Digital vs Film: one man's thoughts)
Reply from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Digital vs Film: one man's thoughts)