Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 16 - Zurich's ritual end of winter
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 23:56:31 +0200

While I was posting all those messages earlier today I was also busy
scanning, so here are my pictures from Week 16. Please note that the
choice of main vs. alternates and the order in which they are presented
has more to do with the logical flow than with the relative merits of
the images.

The third Monday in April is a local holiday here in Zurich, called
Sechseläuten. Actually, it is a half-holiday, until noon a normal
workday, the rest of the day a big street party to mark the end of
winter. The highlight is the ritual burning of an artificial snowman
(called the Böögg) at 6 p.m. on Zurich's biggest square:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_16.jpg

The event is witnessed by lots, and I mean lots of people, especially
when the weather is good as it was this year. So the children do what
they can to get a good view of the Böögg:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_16alt1.jpg

and so did some of the adults:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_16alt2.jpg

I took a couple of shots of faces in the crowd, first this woman who
seemed lost in her own (pleasant) thoughts:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_16alt3.jpg

and then this more serious-looking gentleman:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_16alt4.jpg

Finally, the guy who was probably most pleased about the good weather
and big turnout, given the profit margin on his sausages:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_16alt5.jpg

All pictures with Leica M6 on Kodachrome 200 and 35mm Summilux except
the main pic, which was done with the 90mm Apo Summicron, and the last
one, shot with 50mm Summilux.

The main PAW index is at:

http://www.wajsman.com/indexpaw2002.htm

and comments and critique are welcome and appreciated as always.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland