Subject: RE: Vs: [Leica] Digital vs Film
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 09:21:37 -0400

> << Now, I'm not suggesting that for digital images, as it really isn't
>
> necessary...but I would strongly suggest storing digital images in an
>
> uncompressed format, and probably suggest TIFF, because of it's
> simplicity.
>
> I'm sure that there will always be programs to read JPEG etc, at least for
>
> our lifetime.  I also suggest archiving them to more than one
> CD...and when
>
> DVD writers become less expensive (and your image library grows), archive
>
> them to DVD...and then to...whatever is the media of the time, at the time
>
> ;-)
>

> Regards,
>

> Austin >>
>

> For pro photographers and tech heads I see this as a feasible
> solution.  I
> don't see my parents (if they so desired to move to digital)
> doing this, nor
> do I see my overly busy sibling doing this, or a number of other
> folks I know
> who shoot the precious shot and then throw the goods into an
> album not to be
> really thought of again.

Exactly!  Digital takes, at least today, far more time to deal with than
film, from a point and shoot happy snap prospective.  I can bring my happy
snaps to the local drug store, and get double set of prints from them, easy.
I can bring my digital film cartridge to...well...to...somewhere (yet to be
disclosed) and get....hum.

Now, I do see this changing, where you can bring your microdrive or
whatever, select the images you want printed, and get prints...but right
now, that isn't there....yet.

Austin

Replies: Reply from "SonC \(Sonny Carter\)" <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: Vs: [Leica] Digital vs Film)