Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital G2 and M
From: Tom.Henson@bakerbotts.com
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 09:11:36 -0500

I'm not sure who posted this originally and am sorry about this late
response to your question.

I had a G2 and sold it for one simple reason.

Manual focus on this camera is a joke.

The auto-focus is very good 98% of the time.

But in some lighting conditions, use of manual focus is required to
over-ride what the camera thinks you need vs. what you actually want.

In order to use manual focus on this camera, you have to hold down a button
on the left side of the camera and at the same time manipulate the menu
selector (kind of like a cursor control) on the top right back side of the
camera.

I found this almost impossible to use and even when it worked, it never
resulted in sharp photos.

Maybe I am alone in this problem, but the Leica has a true manual focus
control on the lens which is truly manual, not some electronic verson of
manual.

I sold the G2 and ordered the Leica for this one reason alone.

Tom Henson

 >>Hello Dave,

I am tempted by this Canon G2 camera myself, having read so many good
reports about it. Plus it is stylish (much more than the Digilux 1). And it
is now also available in a limited black edition.

Could you please share some experience with it, possibly via private mail?
TIA

Pascal