Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: calling on the LUG to do a good deed: leica scholarship
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:20:47 -0400

I'm going to be rude here - I know, some of you won't be able to stand the
shock! - but how could anyone intelligent enough to deal with a computer and
email - to say nothing of a Leica - be so stupid as to believe that the
image of a country, a car, a loaf of bread, that they see on t.v. is
accurate? Tell me, is Australia entirely peopled by happy smiling blonds and
aborigines, awash in kangaroos and those fuzzy bear-like things whose name
escapes me for the moment? Or do you have a few racial, social, immigration,
and poverty issues over there? If I was to judge by what I see on t.v., I'd
believe the former and would be shocked by the latter...But then I don't
believe what I see on t.v.

As someone else pointed out in response to my "exchange" with Allan, the
majority of Americans DO, in fact, live quite well, if one is judging well
by the homes in which they live, the posessions they have, the quality of
the food they eat and the clothes they wear. And even, for that matter, by
the quality of the medical care they receive - which God knows is far from
perfect. Does this mean that there aren't 10s of millions of Americans
living in what are, by American standards, appalling conditions? Not at all.
It just means that MOST Americans are living well - which is, as someone
else pointed out, why the U.S. is being flooded with immigrants from
virtually every nation on earth that will let them leave.

B. D.