Subject: Re: [Leica] Haiku/kerouac
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 13:25:15 -0800

>Before most of my beat era friends passed away, I used to go with them
>to poetry readings. They would call them "blows", for the way they were
>expelling out the words.
>Slobodan Dimitrov

Then there's the following mind-"blower" by Basho:

The octopuses in the jars:
Transient dreams
Under the summer moon.

Ho!

And Slobodan, you're right about the Buddhist influence on haiku, which is
permeated with it. There a beautiful discussion of it in Blyth's first
volume of Haiku, which explores the influences of various Eastern cultures
and philosophies (Buddhism, Zen, Taoism, Confucianism, and Shinto, among
others) on haiku.

You're an L.A.-ite. If you're so inclined, stop on over at Kinokuniya in
Yaohan Plaza in Little Tokyo and check out the Blyth books - might inspire
a haiku series of photographs...

Guy