Subject: RE: [Leica] steven gandy's coventry proposal
From: Photo Phreak <leicam4pro@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 18:35:48 -0700 (PDT)

- --- Adam Bridge <abridge@idea-processing.com> wrote:
> On 4/29/02 Photo Phreak  wrote:
>
> >Income tax
> >SSI
> >Sales tax
> >Property taxes (and if you rent you are paying the owners
> taxes)
> >Excise taxes
> >and many, many more.  They all add up.
>
> And remember that payroll taxes are also payed by the
> employer.

    Having been on collective bargaining committees, I can tell
you with certainty the the "employers payroll taxes" are figured
into the overall wage/benefit offer.  As Milton Friedman was so
fond of saying: "There is no such thing as a free lunch".

> Without a doubt SSI is the most regressive of all the taxes
> and the one which
> hurts the poor the most - along with the undocumented workers
> who never recover
> the money that is withheld.

    The real problem with SSI is that it was something every
glad handing politician was only too happy to over promise and
underfund.  The same problem can be found with many governmental
pension plans.
    Far too many people have looted SSI.  But it is like voting
in Chicago, even the dead come back to life.