Subject: [Leica] re: fire in the belly, camera in the pocket
From: Kyle Cassidy <KCassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:04:35 -0400

>I was reading your responses to Robert - I felt relieved because I always
>considered this gut feeling "obsessive compulsive" (no digs, being
>serious), I understand the determination that occupies every waking
>minute.......actually that is how I ended up getting my Leica, I was not
>going to stop until I had one in my hand that I could call my own and I
>moved mountains to do that....almost felt like an alcoholic chasing that
>drink..........

imho, there's a _huge_ difference here -- what i think robert and ted are
talking about is a burning desire to create; to make something exist that
didn't exist before, to tell a story that will eat through you if you're
unable to get it out; this is what makes doug herr get up at 5:30 in the
morning to chase a ruby tipped whatnot warbler through a muddy bank, it's
what made ansel adams keep going back to hernandez over and over and over
until the light was just right. it's not the same -- in fact i don't think
it's even related -- to the (also sometimes very powerful) desire to own
something in particular, whether it's a camera or a car. i've felt both.
(sadly, more often for me it's the "ooh! i want that big television!"
feeling rather than the "i have to get up at 5:30 and crawl into that sewer
to get that shot" one.)

just my .02. take it for what it's worth.

k "needs to get out more and take pictures" c