Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 17 substitute - London snaps
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 22:05:20 +0200

Hi Peter,

> Ouch!  Nathan, so sorry to hear this.  I hope your dog will be all right.
> Was she hurt seriously?

The dog suffered internal injuries which have now been operated on. We visited
her in the animal hospital today and she was very happy to see us and we were
even happier to see her. She will survive and we will get her home maybe on
Friday, maybe next week. It has been very traumatic for all of us, partly
because the accident happened right across the street from our house so we see
the spot every day...

> http://www.wajsman.com/2002_17.jpg
>
> The expressions in the main #17 reminds me of the time I was on a
> rollercoaster in Disneyland (Space Mountain?).  While it was dark and I
> couldn't see anything, I think I heard the equivalent of "Oh,
> Shiiiiiiiiiii.......*" in at least seventeen languages!  Good catch, not
> sure I could have turned around under such circumstances!

Thanks. Keep in mind that this rollercoaster was a lot less serious than the
Space Mountain one. I always take an M6 with the 24mm lens on rollercoasters,
I love taking pictures under those circumstances.

> http://www.wajsman.com/2002_17alt7.jpg
>
> I *really* like this one, with bike lane leading the eye from the tourist
> to the cathedral.  I wish the tourist had been a little further to the
> right in the frame, but then he wouldn't have been in line with the
> cathedral, or maybe there was something in the way on the left I think
> this is a good example of how you can't apply view-camera compositional
> standards to a quick street shot.  Perhaps when you're feeling better you
> could tweak the contrast a little, get some richer blacks in it.

I must say that I feel pretty good about this photo too, because the
compositional elements you noticed were things that I consciously looked at
and considered. There was a lot of visual junk on the left, so this was a
constraint. If I had had my Leica and 24mm lens with me I would have moved
closer to him and gotten more of the cathedral in the frame too, but all I had
was the Rollei with its 40mm lens. On the other hand, it is kind of liberating
to just have one camera and lens on me. It forces a more rigorous evaluation
of the scene and in a strange way hones my eye.

Thanks for looking and commenting!

Nathan
- --
Nathan Wajsman