Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: All Canadian M3 Black Paint M3
From: Bryan Caldwell <bcaldwell51@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:04:44 -0700

On 4/30/02 11:34 AM, "Javier Perez" <summarex@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Guys
> Let me remind you that with black paint Ms costing up
> to 5K It is feasable to strip a mint chrome top bare
> and have it panted black and baked using industrial
> quality paint and processes. The result is a black
> paint camera that is indistinguishable from the
> originals.

Javier,

I've sat down with Shintaro and discussed this and he will be the first to
admit that his refinishes (which I think are generally thought of as the
best you can get) ARE distinguishable from original Leica black paint
finishes. Shintaro can't get the same type of paint that Leica originally
used (nor can anyone else as far as I know) and there are differences in the
way that the white lettering paint is applied.

Shintaro does spectacular work - and I own an M3 that he refinished many
years ago, but I also own an original black paint M4 which Shintaro used to
show me the differences between old and new finishes. If you know what to
look for, you can tell an original from even the best refinishes.

Bryan