Subject: Re: [Leica] South Africa - where men were men and blacks were boys - and some people thought things were hunky dory.
From: kiklaas@iinet.net.au
Date: 1 May 2002 01:29:58 -0000

BD, you must have missed the pointone of my email  where I make reference
to having learnt more about the horrendous situation in South Africa when
I moved to Australia and that I was retrospectively appalled - I am also
not comparing USA with SA - that is a futile excercise - I am making the
point that when one lives in and very close to a situation, it is at
times, hard to see the forest from the trees.

You must keep in mind that there were VERY HEAVY censorship laws in place
at a time that my own opinions were forming - we did not have TV until
1974 and even then it was SA GOVT controlled - the very first thing I did
when I arrived in Perth was go to the library and get books out like
Biko and even The Female Eunich (which was banned when I left in 84).

"Guess whose coming to dinner" was banned, the list is endless.

At 20 I had the experience of watching my mother weep over a newspaper,
the article was on the twilight children....

She had for all those years kept it a secret that she had close relatives
on the "other side" of the colour barrier.  I offered (and I was petrified
of the implications of being caught) to drive her to visit them ,which
we did as frequently as we could - armed with a car filled with groceries
because they were living in squatter conditions...in a township..I do not
need to be asked, my experience is raw and real, but my knowledge was
limited, I have made up for that lack of knowledge since.......and believe
that shifting attention to another countries "crime against humanity" is
definitely not a contructive way of improving the situation in your own
backyard, I qualify that further by saying that even if Australia has a
great standard of living for the MAJORITY of the people - it never means
we should ingnore the plight of those less fortunate - THERE IS ALWAYS
ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT, no matter how good - HOW LONG IS A PIECE OF STRING,
BD.

Karina