Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: All Canadian M3 Black Paint M3
From: Bryan Caldwell <bcaldwell51@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 23:04:18 -0700

Javier,

The camera displayed on Shintaro's web site is brassing - there is no chrome
underneath. I can assure you of this because I've held it in my own hands.
It's been painted twice because it was one of Shintaro's first experiments
and he repainted it when his skills improved. It is as worn as it is because
he carries it absolutely everywhere he goes and has for years.

Shintaro does not just paint over the existing chrome. He completely
disassembles and strips the cameras - which is explained at his website
(although in English, his second language). There are many LUGGERs here who
can attest to the high quality of his work. He's done work for many of us
and I've yet to hear of anyone dissatisfied with the results. He has
customers from around the world and is always back-logged with work. The
only thing that differentiates his finishes from originals (in addition to
the fact that his haven't aged yet) is that he has been unable to obtain the
exact type of paint that Leitz used. He uses the closest substitute that
he's been able to find and it is very difficult to tell the difference. He
also uses a slightly different method for the white engraved lettering - but
it is also a very subtle difference.

Bryan

Replies: Reply from "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: All Canadian M3 Black Paint M3)