Subject: Re: [Leica] Three New Pictures
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 08:35:07 -0400

Hi William.  A very good documentary group, if done for a group well done
and if done for yourself a great effort.  The following may sound harsh but
is just musing to confirm artistic decisions or start thinking through your
choices.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/w_gower/home/temp/images/Norman.html  I like the
catching of these two men but on the low resolution web I don't see some of
the details you bring up in your text.  Also, you mention showing off how
fat so maybe a vertical to show the profile?  For situations like this have
you thought about using a wider lens closer to the main subject?

http://www3.sympatico.ca/w_gower/home/temp/images/Debra.html  This is
probably my favorite of the group.  You have well captured this person and
her environment as well as making a statement of how important her dog is to
her.  In a similar future situation have you thought about using your
subject to echo the silo's: posing as if the person was a beginning or
continuation of the silo's?

http://www3.sympatico.ca/w_gower/home/temp/images/Victoria.html  Here, you
have done a wonderful job of disguising the fact that you used a flash.  You
probably could have used a little more flash to open up more of the left
side of her face.  I would have tried a no flash shot exposing for her face
and letting the windows blow out wrapping her face in a enveloping glow of
light.

Don't let the above sound like these are not strong images, they are
effective.  I only hope that by saying what I see you will in turn either
reinforce your decisions or think of different ways to say what you want to
say with your images.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com