Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica binoculars
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 10:50:59 -0700

Javier,

I am hasitant to post this suggestion knowing that most Leica users are
fanatically loyal to the marque.
I am particular about quality but not brand. I buy the best *value*.
I recall once in Santa Barbara a dealer claimed that there was a distinct
difference between Leitz and Zeiss,  difference enough that a blue bird
appeared purple through Trinovids and that only Zeiss could render the
correct spectrum.
Guess what, he did not carry Leitz.

Two years ago I researched Leica, Zeiss, and Pentax binoculars.
I found that although the Pentax CDF-WP lists for about the same as the
other two, the street price is less than half.
The Pentax also has features not found in Leitz or Zeiss.
After shopping for the best price in all three brands, I bought the Pentax
(10x50) and am very happy with the choice. These binoculars have fenomenal
eye relief.

Go to the Pentax page:

http://www.pentax.com/products/binoculars/bino_overview.cfm?productID=62601

Read also about optics in this article:

http://www.birdwatching.com/index.html

Read the specification and decide if by buying Leitz the difference in price
will be worth the claimed superiority.

I don't recall where I purchased mine, but it was through a Google search.
They cost then around $330.

Joseph Codispoti
San Luis Obispo, CA

From: "Javier Perez" <summarex@yahoo.com>