Subject: Re: [Leica] Binocular selection
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 09:38:15 -0400

At 02:39 PM 5/5/02 +0200, Holger Merlitz wrote:
>I do not quite agree with Marc James Small that one has
>to spend two or three times of 500 $ for a decent binocular.
>I am using a DF 7x40 of the East German NVA which was
>produced by Carl Zeiss Jena and is available on e-bay for
>150$ (good condition).

Well, NOW you've changed the topic to include used binoculars, Holger, and,
in that case, I would opt for a late pair of 8x30 CZJ Deltrintems for
general use.  These were made in huge quantities, were in production for
sixty years, and are generally available for less than $100 in good
condition -- for that matter, the Russian clone is still available new for
around the same price.

I own -- and really like! -- a late 7x40 DF roof-prism glass and find it to
be one of the best binoculars I own -- but it is quite a bit heavier than
most comparable binoculars, weighing in at 950g (33.5 oz), as opposed to
620g (21.8oz) for the Docter 10x40 BGA Asph or 730g (25.76 oz) for the
Zeiss 10x40 Victory binoculars.  The earlier CZJ 7x40 porro-prism model is
a tad lighter, I believe, weighing in at around 900g.  The binocular
mavens, however, seem to rate the Roumanian IOR 7x40 ahead of the CZJ model
due to the less annoying color of the coating.

New 7x40 EDF's are generally available new for around $500;  used prices
for non-beater glasses on e-Bay is generally around $300.  I've been
tracking these binoculars for around two years and I've never seen one
close at $150 though, of course, I might well have missed an auction or two.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!