Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Tetenal Protectan
From: "Rei Shinozuka" <shino@panix.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 09:16:55 -0400 (EDT)

i would have thought something inert like nitrogen would be protective
rather than something hightly flammable.  but my mom was the one with the
PhD in chem, and i was a C student.  :-)

how do you know when you've put enough in?  just the 5 second rule?

thx

- -rei

> From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>

> It comes out of a spray can and there is a little tube to make it
> easier to blow it into bottles. It is a heavier-than-air gas, some
> people say it is butane or something like that, but I do not know. It
> is highly flammable and there is a warning on the can to that effect.
> A five second burst will be enough if there is 250 cc air in the
> bottle you want to protect. I always use Protectan for my Xtol and
> Neutol and have done so for the last five years. The can still seems
> pretty full (I use 100-200 films per year, to give you an idea of how
> much I use).

- --
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com
Ridgewood, New Jersey