Subject: [Leica] It was Leica Day and...
From: Brian Ampolsk <bampolsk@csc.com>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 09:53:21 -0400

This year I promised myself...  No New Leicas on Leica day (at the Camera
Bar in Hartford, CT).  So, I brought my equipment over where the Leica
technician cleaned and evaluated it (only two problems, my aging 35
summilux is soon going to need CLA and my 50 Summicron-R has oil on the
blades.  both were bought in the 70s).  I have an M6TTL .72 and have since
last year used a 28 Summicron as my standard lens.  Well, I put the lens on
a .58 M6 body, and ...  you know the rest of the story.  Yes, I bought the
M6TTL .58.  It is superb with the .28.  And, now the standard lens on my
.72 will be a 90 elmarit, of which I'm also quite fond.

So, why didn't I buy an M7?  Well, first of all because the M7 is not yet
out in a .58.  But, second, after the $200 rebate and 10% Leica Day
discount, I bought the M6 body for $1550.  There is neither discount nor
rebate on the M7, and the body would have cost $2350.  Is it a nice camera?
Yes, it is a beautiful camera.  But, is it worth an additional $800?
Depends.  To me it wasn't, particularly since it wasn't yet available with
the .58 viewfinder.

Well, in honor of my new purchase, I took a drive down CT route 15 Saturday
afternoon taking photos of old diners, 50s style motels and gunshops...
with a IIIb.  Oh well.

Anyway, I just picked up the M6 yesterday and am really looking forward to
using it on my annual trip to Central America this summer.

Cheers...

Brian