Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 at a Bris
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 16:34:51 -0700

At 2:51 PM -0400 5/8/02, Rolfe Tessem wrote:
>--On Thursday, May 09, 2002 02:31:03 AM +0800 Joseph Yao
><joseph@yao.com> wrote:
>
>>on 9/5/02 2:25 am, Douglas Herr at telyt@earthlink.net wrote:
>>
>>>Wasn't it a Pentax (model escapes my memory) that introduced
>>>aperture-priority exposure automation on an interchangable-lens SLR?  I
>>>think it was 1970 or so.
>>
>>The first Pentax that offered auto exposure was the Spotmatic ES with M42
>>screw mount.  But I am not sure if it was world's first AE SLR.  I believe
>>it was a Konica?
>
>I'm pretty sure it was the Konica Autoreflex, which was shutter priority only.

There were others before that. For example, the Edixa Electronica of
1962 had programmed automatic exposure control and interchangeable
lenses. There were probably others. The Konica Autoreflex series was
the first really successful line, but it was a trapped needle system
with pulleys and strings, which makes it all the more remarkable that
most of them still work, if you can find a 625 battery.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com