Subject: Re: [Leica] The notta thread
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 19:57:12 EDT

In a message dated 5/8/02 6:09:50 AM, jbcollier@shaw.ca writes:

<< Pursuant to Dante's Hexar review, and in no way a negative reflection on
it:

I would like to find out if any of us are NOT lawyers, doctors or
dentists. Not that it is wrong to be one of the above but I am tired of
hearing the same old "toys of the rich" refrain.  >>

60%Ceramic artist (potter)
50% run a pottery coop up at UCSC

I would venture that when sales suck, I easily make the least income of
anyone on this list.

That said, when I decided to buy certain photo gear (Leica or otherwise) I
figured that at $10 profit a soup bowl, a Leica (for instance) could be had
for 160 bowls.  I neglected my social life for a month and made extra bowls.

The co-op at the University is under threat of being shut down because we
still have about $1,500 to make up for paying for a new kiln we needed
(safety reasons).  In addition to soliciting donations, we're dedicating
ourselves to throwing 150 $10 bowls and selling them.

In my previous life, as lawyer, a Leica could be bought at 10 to 15 hours of
billing.

It would certainly be easier to purchase a Leica or set-up a darkroom or fund
a photo show or documentary series with a lawyer's salary, just how it would
be easier to keep a student oriented co-operative open with a single
university grant that is 1/10,000th of the cost of a new science building at
the U...but the other (slower more incremental) methods can work as well...if
one wants them badly enough and is willing to put in the effort.

I like this thread, if for no other reason then I get to see how other people
(particularly the one's without financial windfall) manifest their artistic
visions and their equipment desires.

- -kim