Subject: [Leica] The notta thread
From: "Gumm, Jim" <Jim.Gumm@okdhs.org>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 08:58:33 -0500

With great luck and fortune, I am a photographer, working for the Oklahoma
Department of Human Services, for 24 years, as the chief and only
photographer, from an original crew of 5 (times are tough). I am not rich,
however my lovely wife, Nancy, and I don't have children so I can
occasionally splurge.
My grandfather worked in the oil fields of Oklahoma, early in the century
and was an avid photographer. I have his negative files and they are
awesome, with a huge variety of formats. He had a lot of cameras.
My father was a photographer for the daily newsstations and newspapers in
Oklahoma over a long career, using everything from Arriflexes to Zeiss. He
has a large file of Kodachromes he shot in Korea (along with much B+W), even
using x-ray films and chemistry when other stuff was unavailable. He has
also had many varieties of cameras, too numerous to mention. He recently
gave me a IIIa with a 50 summar (super clean), a 135 telesar (?) and a 3" f2
Bausch & Lomb, rangefinder-coupled tessar, some really neat stuff like
Nookys, etc. I love this guy.
I must mention my mother, Tanaka Tsuyako, from whom what little of my
artistic side evolved from. Born in Japan in 1930, she was an artist as a
painter, potter, flower arranger and many other mediums. I still have a few
of her Raku pots that are gorgeous.
Most of my friends aren't photographers and my black paint M4 means little
to any of them, except they think it needs a paint retouch. My one
photographer friend uses Nikon, mostly a D1 with some nice Nikkors. In
direct comparisons, my film always beats his digital.
There I am, thanks for a listen,
Jimbo