Subject: [Leica] Tripod Thread Sizes
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 11:01:19 -0400

At 06:53 AM 5/10/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Karina,  if you mean US standard then yes.  I didn't think anybody was
>still making anything in the old German(European) size.

Tripod thread sizes are one of the first examples of international
standardizations -- in the 1880's, at an otherwise unremarkable photo
meeting of some sort in Brussels, the delegates voted to adopt 3/8" by 20
tpi and 1/4" by 20 tpi as the two standard tripod threads.  The original
standard specified Whitworth threads but this certainly was being generally
ignored within forty years and was completely dead by the Second World War.

There is still a fair bit of gear which is made in the larger of the two
sizes, especially LF and the heavier MF stuff.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!