Subject: [Leica] Re: PAW wk 19/sl
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 07:42:44 -0500

Steve:

>This is where the M6ttl spot meter lets me down because the spot meter is
>reading the bright lights and the gray and shadows just disappear. So for
>this kind of shot do you think I could sit there for :15 or :30 seconds
>trying to figure out what I should be reading with the spot meter? Probably
>not.

I'd much rather have a reflective meter in this type of situation than an
incident one.  An incident one tells you nothing about the exposure you need
for the shadows.  Meter a shadow that you want to have some detail and then
close down 2-3 stops.  As long as you're shooting B&W negatives, you can
control highlights while developing.  Seems easy enough.  Or, even the
reverse.  Read off somebody's face, open up a stop, and let the shadows and
everything else fall wherever.  In either case, just make one reading and
then keep shooting.

Am I missing something?

Eric

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Re: PAW wk 19/sl)