Subject: Re: [Leica] LTM vs. M
From: Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 09:47:22 -0700

Andrew Amundsen wrote:

> Hello everyone, I'm curious the ratio of M user's on the LUG to regular
> LTM user's. When I purchased my first leica, an M2, last year I had two
> cameras in mind. It was a desicion between a IIIf with lens and the M2
> with 50mm lens.  At the last minute I decided to go with the M for
> various reasons. First the availablility of repair parts for M's seemed
> better. Second the ease of use of the combined VF/RF on the M's. Finally
> the ability to use modern lenses.
>
> Today LTM user's can also use modern lenses (the Cosina Voigtlander
> series), so I am again interesed in an older screw mount leica! What are
> the favorites of the LUG members? I love the size of the LTM cameras
> with a collapsible lens: pocketable! I'm leaning toward a IIIc or IIIf.
> Will I need to have a second body as a 'parts' camera if repairs are
> ever needed? Any advice from your combined expertise would be greatly
> appreciated! With my M2 on it's way for a repair, for who knows how
> long, I'm experiencing my first 'Leica withdrawl'!
>
> Thanks for the time! Andrew

No need for a "parts" body. If you damage one to that extent, (hard to do),
it will be better to just get another one.
As mentioned, plan on CLA as most of these are not being used and will need
it. Get the CLA done by someone who was trained by Leica. Call Sherry and
you will find out how complicated a CLA per Leica specifications is. Don't
even think about getting her to do it as she is backlogged on LTMs. Sounds
like Reinhold Mueller may have some space on his workbench.

While the IIIc can be as good as a IIIf get the IIIf as it's more likely to
have a better build. The IIIc was made right after the War and some are a
bit rough. Cost difference is just not that much.

Get a IIIg for a real treat! much nicer finder, figure the cost to be double
though.  It's an "investment" yea, right ;-)))

Having said all that, I would suggest you think about just using the M2 for
everything.