Subject: RE: [Leica] Lenses For Wedding
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 08:35:24 -0400

A few random thoughts that haven't already been touched on:

1. If you are going into the wedding with a game plan centered around
Leica-style available light photography, you are needlessly setting
yourself up for failure on a good number of shots. If this is really what
the couple want, then you need a "Plan B" for at least the bare minimum of
formal portraits of the B&G and family groupings. If you shoot these
available light, you will be lucky to escape a lynching. (If the B&G say
they don't want ANY formals, ignore them. They will later forget they ever
uttered this remark).

2. Flash. What is the plan where available light simply isn't an option?
You really need a fast-recycling unit that is also workable when the camera
is turned on its side for verticals. Don't plan on sticking an SF-20 on top
of a Leica M and going at it.

3. Outdoor weddings involve a whole different set of problems than indoor
ones. Workable flash fill is a necessity, not a luxury. This is problematic
with a Leica M due to the 1/50th sync speed.

4. When you  shoot a wedding for friends or family, you can no longer
behave as a guest even if the B&G still think of you as one. Specifically,
no drinking.

5. If you haven't done this before, make a list of the "must gets", "would
like to get" and "purely optional" shots beforehand and have a plan which
incorporates the "must gets" and most of the "would like to get"
possibilities.

6. Don't forget your tripod -- you'll need it.

7. Use film designed for the job -- Kodak Portra NC or Fuji NPH.

8. As you can see, deciding which lenses to use is really the least of the
problems ;-).

For the record, I try to avoid these situations like the plague, but like
others, I have done my share. For the last one I used an R8 and a Quantum
T2 flash with a Quantum Turbo battery. I used a bracket which allowed the
flash to remain above the camera when it is rotated for a vertical. I used
a Leica M for available light candids where possible. I've also done some
weddings for friends completely in medium format and I don't consider using
35mm that much easier, although it is a little less expensive.

Good luck!

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com