Subject: [Leica] Re: MR4 question
From: Ken Wilcox <klw.51@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 09:44:20 -0400

I have one on my M4 and another one on my M2. These are both superior
and inferior to the M6 meter. On the plus side, the MR or MR4 always
covers the same angle, regardless of lens in use.  This area is about
the same as covered with a 90mm lens and so can be selected with the
preview lever. The MR and MR4 can also be used without bring the
camera to the eye, which can be an advantage in some situations.

On the minus side, the MR and MR4 have two operating ranges which
must be manually selected. They are also less sensitive than the
meter in the M6. They also use mercury batteries, which can be hard
to find. The M6 meter can be used at eye level, which can be an
advantage at times.

IMHO, metering should not be the most important criteria to use when
selecting an M body.

Ken Wilcox