Subject: RE: [Leica] digital b&w
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 11:11:53 -0400

Hi Pete,

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the version of the 760, as the DCS465, as it is an
older unit, it makes sense.

They use a neutral density filter over the array, in place of the Bayer
pattern filter.

Most monochrome (as in multi-pass) scanning backs could easily do B&W,
simply by substituting an ND filter for one of the color filters.  The
tri-band scanning backs make it quite difficult, as the filters are part of
the sensor.

I also don't believe scanning backs are a good idea for portraits ;-)

Regards,

Austin