Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Photoshop dilemma
From: Mark Kronquist <mak@teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 20:54:07 -0900

on 5/15/02 12:04 PM, Ted Grant at tedgrant@shaw.ca wrote:

> To Photoshop or not to Photoshop, that is the question. ;-) Or is it, use
> reality or not to use to reality? :-)
>
> Guys and Gals,
> I've just spent several hours in the good old fashion "dark room" making wet
> prints, washing, drying and all that other stuff we do with such reckless
> abandon before the mighty photo god   ...... Photoshop descended on planet
> earth or whatever.
>
> You know, as much as I enjoy using Photoshop, not for screwing with
> pictures, but the ease and convenience of making prints on demand without
> all the fuss and muss of the wet darkroom, it's wonderful.
>
> Then once a photo is electronically saved heck I can go back a year later
> and knock off a hundred identical prints without batting an eye getting nary
> a wet hand.
>
> However, their is an old fashion mystique of doing it real-time with hands
> in the trays and watching those wonderful photographs come to life under the
> orange dark room lights. Damn I love it!
>
> It's mine coming to life and I don't get that same kind of magical feeling
> when I'm electronically tweaking a burn here or there in Photoshop. It seems
> cold and just sits there on a screen. Like no giving a life feeling happens
> as it prints out.
>
> Maybe I'm just a sentimental old fool, but as much as I'm always in awe of
> the electronic print, I just can't set aside the good old fashion darkroom.
> It has life and feelings, I suppose so many wonderful memories of seeing
> dramatic moments captured on film and then prints coming up in the soup is
> tough to cast aside for a "machine!"
>
> OK OK I'll go back to the dark and make prints. ;-)
>
> Hopefully you guys and gals will have this seemingly endless "to Photoshop
> or not to Photoshop" debate to an end by the time I'm finished printing. ;-)
> ted
>

> Ted Grant Photography Limited
> www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Ted, there is a camera store for you (and me) and people like us. Some
brilliant fool has thrown prevailing wisdom to the winds and dedicated their
store to those of us seeking more satisfaction than pixel juggling will ever
give.

Allow me to introduce you to Jake at Blue Moon Camera in Portland, Oregon.
Jake is a bit over thirty though you expect him to be a bit over 70 in
thoughtfulness, helpfulness, education and attitude (I am 40 and not used to
those my age having answers besides you need more megapixels and my Diamage
7 has 5.24M of them). I am fortunate enough to live in Portland where his
shop is located (503 978-0333) walking in to the shop is like walking into a
wonderland.

From a rental 8 x 10 Deardorff to shelves filled with Leicas and lenses to
answers like certainly we have 127 for your Baby Rollei, would you like
processing and printing as well, and, by the way, did you know we also offer
film for virtually every format camera ever made? 828, Rapid, 116, 620...

On my last trip thee someone from Colorado called looking for infrared
flashbulbs...I never knew there were such things but apparently Jake has
them and the caller was both surprised and delighted.

Perhaps if we are lucky, Blue  Moon will be on the LHSA Portland tour in
October...just don`t ask Jake about classic radios, balsa wood models, old
fountain pens or typewriters...or you may find yourself, as I do, wishing
you could send e mail from your Smith Corona Skywriter...

Mark Kronquist LHSA Member since college... 1984

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Re: Photoshop dilemma)