Subject: Re: [Leica] To Bill Larsen
From: "Will" <wlarsen@ocsnet.net>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 22:31:40 -0700

Fires are usually pretty much under control here unless we
are getting a Santa Ana Wind or Foehn (winds coming from the
east due to a high pressure system).  We have, I believe, a
16 state cooperative agreement where when one state has an
out of control fire, the other states send response teams.
I have seen the fuel mapping of the 16 states and they can
fight fire pretty high tech.  Our climate is a lot like the
east coast of Australia except we do not have the climate of
the extreme northeast of Australia.

The big debate here is whether it is better to let wildfires
burn or suppress them.

BTW, you can get a lot of this info and a lot about Leica by
joining NewnetIRC and joining the #leica channel.  The
featured people there include GeeBee, SonC (sonny carter),
Kyle Cassidy under various names (he is currently favoring
rats), Colin (lights from the former world trade center),
JimmyP (some really buff body builders), Rob (some fantastic
pixes of Novia Scotia), Alistair from Australia.   Don't be
upset if no one immediately responds... most have day jobs
that allow them to respond eventually.  I have three clocks
in my home office.  One set to my time 20:20 hours pacific
daylight saving time, one set to east England 06:20 gmt, and
east Australia 15:20 I think the next day.  i.e I am + 8
hours from UTM.
Time confuses me.

But a lot of us can continue to build this rather weird
channel, where I have never heard an insulting word.  More
like a mutual support group.

Regards, Bill