Subject: Re: [Leica] 400mm 6.8 question
From: Douglas Herr<telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 08:05:43 -0700

On Fri, 17 May 2002 10:44:22 -0400 Julian Koplen <jkoplen@mindspring.com> wrote:

> I have a version of this lens with what appears
> to me to be a plain vanilla lens mount.  I
> don't see any cams.  I use it primarily with an
> SL, but can I also use it on an R camera, with
> TTL metering at the working aperture , and
> get accurate aperture-priority exposures?  Or
> do I have to apply a compensating factor of
> some sort?

If the lens doesn't have the R nul cam, you can use it on an R body but whether you need to compensate depends on which body it is.  With an R3- or R4-series body, yes you do need to compensate.  With my R4s and R4sP bodies I had to adjust exposure by 1.5 stops (I forget which direction) but at least it's consistent through the metering range.  The newer bodies don't need any compensation.

The R nul cam on this lens is a little metal tab at about the 8 o'clock position looking at the rear of the lens.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from "Julian Koplen" <jkoplen@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] 400mm 6.8 question)