Subject: [Leica] Re: 2 cam damage to an R6? Nah
From: David Young <youngs@islandnet.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 17:24:35 -0700

On 16/05/02 , Jim Brick wrote:

>>opps I guess I screwed up for 10 years using a 2 cam 90 Elmarit on my R6
>>(stop down metering)

>Says who???  Certainly not Leica!  Zero cam, one cam, and two cam lenses
>are 100% compatible with R4-R7 cameras. The absence of a cam, can in no
>way, cause damage.
>
>It's not there!
>
>But you knew that...
>
>:)
>
>Jim

Actually, Jim... it *is* there.  On page 7 of my R8 manual it says "Earlier
Leicaflex/SL/SL2 lenses without the R control cam must not be used since
these can damage the camera." My R6 manual has a similar prohibition.

Now, I agree, it doesn't make sense that a "no-cam" extender, extension
tube, viso lens on adapter etc., should work; but not the one or two cam
lenses.

In the R8's case, I'd even suppose that the cam shorted out the ROM
contacts, but this is obviously not the case, because if the older lenses
have the third (R) cam added, they work fine according to the factory!

And Doug Herr's earlier post makes sense. And we all agree that nobody has
ever had a problem with this... so why the dire warnings from Leica?

I guess I'm just too curious  - that's all.  :)

David Young        | Experience gained varies directly
Victoria, CANADA   | with equipment ruined.

Message from Douglas Herr<telyt@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Mirror lens - Related Question)