Subject: RE: [Leica] Photoshop problem with Cones Inks
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 17:46:21 -0600

> Tim,
>
> I believe the software is a plugin accessed through Photoshop.  If you are
> running Windoze, you shouldn't have a problem with PS7.
>
> steve

It was the mention of Generations as well as Cone inks that prompted me to
ask the question - Cone I could see, with the plug-in and their notoriously
slow response time, but Generations or any other 3rd party ink is totally
independent of PS version

> 1. The chip that is put in some Epson printers has to
> be bypassed (Epson may use this as protection from 3rd
> party ink competition, or it may just be firmware that
> they use for their own purposes that gets in the way
> of the 3rd party manufacturers), although this is not
> an issue with the 3000.

A problem that has generally been solved with present generation printers
(though maybe not the upcoming Epson 2200) - and doesn't really depend on PS
version either.

> 2. In any printer there are software based controls
> for things like ink flow that packages like Photoshop
> use to drive the printer properly. I gather than the
> 3rd party inks have to be tweaked a bit vs. the
> standard Epson inks.

Absolutely, with any third party inks - though "tweak a bit" may be an
understatement in some cases!! (okay, some inks and/or printers are easier
than others...)

Tim A