Subject: Re: [Leica] need quick answer on film with xtol :)
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 21:51:27 -0700

This is exactly what happened to me the first time I used XTOL. The film came out completely clear, without even the frame numbers.

The next time it developed the film but it was ruinously grainy.

It took me 4 months to work up the courage to try a third time. I mixed it with distilled water instead of the filtered tap-water that I had been using. It worked fine.

XTOL seems to be shockingly sensitive to small amounts of impurity in the water.