Subject: Re: [Leica] How to replace foam in R4?
From: "Aram Langhans" <langhans@yakima-wa.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 18:46:55 -0700

While not a fan of Ed Romney, I took his advice on this.  I found an old
mouse pad the right thickness (one of many free-be's I have), made a index
card template using the old foam as a guide.  I removed the old foam using a
tweezers and small screwdriver to scrape the glue and debris from the camera
back.  I then fine-tuned my template to match the surface where the foam
will be attached.  I  then cut one out of the mouse pad using the template
and a razor blade.  I used some contact cement to glue the new one in place.
Been there for about a year.  Works great.  I have enough material for a few
hundred foam windows.  Maybe I should go into production.

It is a real easy fix, especially since the back comes off the camera and
you can place it flat on the table.  Just be sure not to mess with the
pressure plate while poking around there.

Aram

> Date: 22 May 2002 11:35:52 -0700
> From: Julie Leung <rareflower@canada.com>
> Subject: [Leica] How to replace foam in R4?
> Hi everyone,
>
> I inherited an R4 from my father and have been thoroughly enjoying it
until just recently, when I found light leak in my most recently developed
negs.

> I did some reading on the web (including the LUG archives) and am pretty
sure it is due to the foam around my green window deteriorating.

> I've contacted Kindermann Canada to ask if they have foam replacements,
seeing that some people have been able to get them for free.  Someone also
mentioned Leica Service in NJ being able to supply those.  Does anyone have
a contact number or email for them in NJ?

> The primary purpose of this email, however, it to ask you all how I can go
about replacing the foam?  I've read that some people have used lens cleaner
to remove the old foam.  I also remember reading some do's and don'ts
regarding solvents to use (but I can't find the link again!).

> The store in Calgary (where I live) that has my R4 right now wants just
under $100 CDN for the seals and the labour.  I think I can do it for MUCH
cheaper myself.