Subject: RE: Wandering OT now Re: [Leica] 16 cyl
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 13:31:59 -0700

At 3:22 PM -0400 5/23/02, Austin Franklin wrote:
>  > > Pretty much all the diesel locomotives you see are V16s...the
>>  majority of
>>  >  those from General Motors are fitted with either the 645 or 710 model
>>  >  diesel...number represents cubic inches.  Per cylinder!  The
>>  newest units
>>  >  from General Electric ring in at 15.7 liters/cylinder...
>>  >

>>  Yessss, and most of them are difficult to drive on the Interstate.
>
>Hi Seth,
>
>Yes, they are...but that isn't the point.  The initial point of someone
>mentioning the 16 cylinder engine was to make some claim that it was not a
>successful product...yet, it is a VERY successful product, just in the right
>applications.
>
>The reason 16 cylinder engines aren't "commonly" used in cars is a logistics
>issue.  They simply are long, and as such, don't work well in today's
>automobile.  For vehicles that do not have the same restrictions as
>automobiles, they work very well.  I do not know if they are suitable for
>tractor trailer trucks though, that would be interesting to find out.  I
>know they are on the order of 10l to 14l!!!.  I'm sure a short web search
>for one of the major TT manufacturers, like Peterbuilt or Kenworth etc.
>would give that information...
>
>Regards,
>
>Austin

The Bugatti W16 is extremely compact; it is shorter than so-called
'small block' American V8's. It has lots of other problems, such as
heat dissipation and general complexity, but it is compact.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com