Subject: [Leica] for-sale Friday
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 18:23:14 -0700

As I sit here at my computer reading email, out the window to my right is a 70-year-old rose plant whose stem is 12 inches in diameter where it enters the ground. In front of me, on the wall 10 feet away, is a Kilburg Geochron. The Geochron is a motor-driven mechanical marvel that shows the time and sunlight everywhere in the world. I can see that it will soon be Friday sunrise in Istanbul and Kuwait and the Seychelle Islands.

The passage of time has both feeling and metric. The feeling here comes from the giant rose, which has absorbed time into its ancient self. The measurement here comes from the Geochron's clock, which finds exactly 60 minutes in every hour.

When I started the "opening bell" and "closing bell" stuff, I used numbers. Now that we've been through it for two weeks, I feel that it's too long. I'm going to change the for-sale opening bell from turn-of-midnight to sunrise in the Christmas islands, a 5 hour delay. This is still a ridiculous amount of time; Friday starts before people in Hawaii have gotten out of bed on Thursday morning.