Subject: [Leica] Re: Contax [was Re:"Cranky and awkward" Screw mounts]
From: CHRISTOPHER.CHEN@customs.treas.gov
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 14:05:41 -0400

Moreover, no one is *forced* to use the "crab" hold when using the Contax
(or Nikon RF).  With the possible exception of the collapsible 50mm
Sonnars, a Contax user can easily dispense w/the focus wheel & focus
conventionally by turning the lens w/the left hand (after disengaging the
infinity lock).

Chris
- ---------------------------------------

At 07:21 PM 5/23/02 -0400, Robert Marvin wrote:

>Contax-style focusing is considerably faster
>with a 50, but, with an aux. VF for other lenses the magnified,
>adjustable diopter Leica RF is superior (and, you don't need an
>awkward "Contax crab" hold to avoid blocking the RF window).

Well, the Contax long-base RF is quite a bit more accurate than is the
LTM's.  I use both Contax and LTM cameras a goodly amount and both have
their virtues -- but the Contax and Kiev camera RF/VF mechanisms have the
Leica's RF beat all-hollow for ease, utility, and accuracy.

Marc