Subject: RE: [Leica] Canine issue update - good news [very long]
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 09:36:28 -0400

Mitch,

I am glad to hear you and your dog(s) are doing well!  One thing though,
REALLY bothers me about what you wrote.  I want you to know that I AM a very
avid dog lover...except in cases like this.

> - Through extensive phone calls and back channel checking, I was able to
> create a 6 page document tracing events with the problem dogs dating back
3
> years to when they first arrived in our neighborhood and submitted it,
along
> with injury photos, to the animal control officer.  They had attacked 4
> other dogs prior to my incident, and had begun to stalk children very
> recently.

> 4) The owner had taken the advice of the animal control officer and had
> begun to make arrangements for a Rottweiler rescue group to permanently
> remove the dogs and place them in another location far from here.  Removal
> is to occur sometime after the officer lifts the quarantine on
> Monday; once
> they are removed, legal confirmation of the transfer must be presented to
> the animal control officer.

WHAT???  These dogs are now STALKING CHILDREN?  They should be destroyed, as
I doubt there is any chance of rehabilitation.  I hate to say that, but once
a dog attacks as those dogs have, they are obviously a menace to society,
and must be dealt with accordingly.  Simply moving them to somewhere else is
not solving the problem, as far as I am concerned.  Also, the owner should
be given a hell of a lot more responsibility for this problem.  I think he's
getting off VERY lightly, and I'm surprised he's not in a lot more trouble
for this.

It is unfortunate that others are allowed to severely disrupt others lives
like this.  Somehow, there needs to be better menace animal laws...and given
your experience, I am going to check into what the rules in our town are.  I
know we have a leash law, but that didn't prevent a lying (he denied the
incident, even though there were witnesses, and my wife is not a liar)
neighbor's dog from snarling and menacing my wife when it lunged out into
the street, as she was out running one morning...

Best to you and Riddy!

Austin

BTW, by your actions, you may have saved some child's life!

Replies: Reply from "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Canine issue update - good news [very long])
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com> (Re: [Leica] Canine issue update - good news [very long])